New Zealand Moving Truck Hire
Packing Tips for Moving Home
We’ve provided some tips for packing up your belongings and loading up your moving truck hire vehicle when moving to a new home. Whether you’re moving from an apartment or a large family home, these tips should help things run smoothly.
- Packing can start off being fun but that can soon wear off with a larger move. Set some deadlines (such as a weekend to pack up the garage etc) and stick to them. Give children some small tasks such as packing up their toys and clothes to keep them occupied and make them feel involved.
- Don’t leave all your packing to the last day. There’s nothing worse than being unprepared and finding out you’ve damaged something precious or can’t find something important because you packed in a hurry.
- Buy plenty of packing tape – you can never have too much and is handy for strengthening boxes as well as sealing them. A tape gun makes taping up your boxes much easier and adds a bit of fun – something else to let the kids help out with.
- Use plain packing paper instead of old newspapers, as the newsprint can be tough to remove – especially from fabrics such as lampshades.
- Label boxes by room so they can be placed in the correct location at your destination, and you’ll be able to easily find items you’ll need to use straight away.
- When packing essential items such as the kettle, toaster etc, write ‘Open First’ clearly on these boxes and ‘Do Not Move’ on boxes you’re planning on taking separately.
- Wrap fragile items separately and provide plenty of padding around each item. Write ‘Fragile’ on any boxes containing items that might easily be broken.
- Don’t pack more into a container than you can lift comfortably and remember to distribute your belongings evenly to avoid injury and a trip to the chiropractor.
- Place your boxes and containers neatly around the walls in each room to make it easier to get in and out when you’re loading up your moving truck, and do the same when you unload at the other end.
- Hire a trolley to help you move heavy items and several boxes at once. It’ll save time and prevent injuries from lifting. USAVE have hand trucks available for just $10 – simply select from the list when you book your hire vehicle
- Stack lighter items on top of heavier items when you load your van or truck. Under-packing can cause damage in transit so pack items together as tightly as possible to prevent shifting during transit and pad items with old blankets or duvets for extra cushioning if necessary.
- Ask someone to do a last walk through your old house with you before you leave. A fresh pair of eyes can often spot things you’ve missed.
Refer to our relocation checklist for other preparations you may need to make before moving house.
Take a look at our great range of truck hire vehicles to help you move your belongings to your new place. We can cater for small apartment moves right up to large family homes with our different moving van hire sizes.
New Zealand moving truck hire packing tips from USAVE to help you plan a smooth house move.
Moving Tips | Preparations | Packing Tips | Moving Day Advice | Moving Checklist | Driving Truck Rentals In NZ