New Zealand Rental Truck Restrictions
Tuesday, October 7th, 2014Read about 'New Zealand Rental Truck Restrictions' on USAVE, the place for all things car rental.
When hiring a New Zealand rental truck, you will encounter age and licensing restrictions that you must be aware of before trying to hire a vehicle. There are also a number of costs that are required for you to be able to hire a vehicle, designed to protect both the rental company and yourself in the event of a collision or other accident. As long as you meet these restrictions, hiring a vehicle is a simple process.
1. All drivers must be 20 years old and hold a full license. While the age limit can vary from company to company, with USAVE it’s 20 years old. An international full license is required if you are a visitor from overseas and have a licence that is not written in English.
2. Some trucks may require a Class 2 license. 2-3 ton trucks (usually these will be listed as 10 – 20m³ capacity) can be driver with just a regular full drivers license, and as long as you follow basic safe driving guidelines they can be operated by most drivers easily. However USAVE also offers larger vehicles, and for these a Class 2 (heavy traffic) license will be required for your own and other road users’ safety and is a legal requirement.
3. A bond is required for all van and truck hires. For hiring any vehicle, a bond of NZ$500.00 is required (NZ$1000.00 for 12-seat minibuses and 28-30m3 trucks). This is refundable upon completion of the hire period and returning the vehicle in satisfactory condition. Cash or a signed credit card voucher are both acceptable, including Visa debit cards (treated like cash with bond payable).
4. Trucks and vans must be returned with the same level of fuel they started with. USAVE provides a full tank of fuel to get you where you need to go, however this must be refilled when you bring it back.
5. A $100 booking deposit is required. When you make a reservation of a truck or other vehicle, a $100 deposit is required, the balance is then payable on collection. If you need to cancel your booking this won’t be refunded, however it can be transferred to another rental within a 12 month period if you give at least 48 hours notice.
So long as these conditions are met, hiring a truck from USAVE is a straightforward process, and the team is always happy to help with anything you need clarified.