Truck Driving Safety Tips
Our New Zealand rental trucks and vans are expertly maintained and regularly serviced by our own team of mechanics to ensure they are safe and reliable.
All our vehicles are spacious, comfortable and easy to drive. You won’t need a HT license or special training – as long as you are over 20 years old and have a valid class 1 license you can drive our rental trucks*. Although they are easy to drive, it’s not the same as driving a car, so there are some safety issues to bear in mind.
When You Pick Up Your Rental Truck
- Before you drive away, familiarise yourself with the driving controls, including lights, indicators, windscreen wipers, and position of the fuel cap.
- Position your side and rearview mirrors to enable you to see as much of the road as you can.
- Make sure you are in a comfortable driving position before moving off.
On The Road In Your Rental Truck
Don’t forget the height and weight of our trucks and vans differ, so take special care when driving:
- Trucks are much heavier than cars and need a longer braking distance – stay at least 5 seconds behind the vehicle ahead.
- Check your mirrors carefully before changing lanes and always indicate to other road users.
- Avoid sudden manoeuvres – give other road users plenty of time to react.
- Watch for low-hanging tree limbs, power and phone lines and pay attention to clearance signs at bridges, overpasses and undercover car parks.
- Take turns slow and wide, and don’t cut across corners as you may damage the rear wheels or the side of the truck.
- Reverse the truck slowly and if you’re unsure of what is behind you, get out and check before you reverse, or have someone guide you.
- Avoid overheating the brakes by using a lower gear on steep descents and never use neutral as you risk losing control of the vehicle.
- When loading or unloading our Box Body Trucks, check the instructions for operating the tail lift.
- After loading, ensure doors are securely locked, and your load is well secured and doesn’t hang over the sides (if using our Drop Side Trucks).
USAVE have a wide range of rental trucks and vans available from handy branches in Auckland, Palmerston North, Christchurch and Dunedin. View our full range of truck hire vehicles or get some friendly advice from the USAVE rental trucks team.
Advice on safely driving rental trucks from USAVE – keeping you safe on New Zealand’s roads.
Moving Tips | Packing Tips | Moving Day Advice | Moving Checklist | Driving Truck Rentals In NZ